blair witch

[MOVIE REVIEW]: BLAIR WITCH

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Synopsis
It's been 20 years since James' sister and her 2 friends vanished into the Black Hills Forest in Maryland while researching the legend of the Blair Witch, leaving a trial of theories and suspicions in their wake.

James and his friends Peter, Ashley and film student Lisa venture into the same woods each with a camera to uncover the mysteries surrounding their disappearance.

At first the group is hopeful, especially when a pair of locals Lane and Talia offer to act as guides through the dark and winding woods. But as the endless night wears on, the group is visited by a menacing presence.

Slowly, they begin to realise the legend is all too real and more sinister than they could have imagined.

I'm going to be completely honest. I've never really finished watching a whole movie with the concept of having the audience watch the movie as a footage or video. With the weird cuts and shaky screen from time to time, you know?
I've tried watching them but they always got me SO lost.

However, I felt spontaneous to give it a chance one day when I went to watch Blair Witch. I went in with zero idea what the movie was really about because the synopsis was very generic and not giving much information. I didn't know what to expect. Jump scares, probably? But what's so scary about witches, right? *initial thought anyway


The start of the movie was letting us know more about Blair Witch, where it came from and the horror background stories people heard. Hmm still had my doubts about how scary this movie was going to be at this point. 


Of course, night time was when things got exciting and interesting. Loud noises, jump scares from the loud noises and some twists which I don't want to give too much away about. 

It was not until in the later part of the movie that things got extremely weird that I couldn't stop asking myself "what is going on?" Not the confusing kind but the one that makes you feel that this movie is messing with your mind. Haha. Interesting!


Climax part of the movie for me was definitely near to the end when I finally got to see a little bit of how the witch looked like and also finally managed to make sense of ALMOST everything from the questions I had from the very beginning. It'll all start to make sense at the very end..

THAT HOUSE THOUGH. It was the EVERYTHING. Yes, there will be a house, not like it's going to spoil your movie or anything. But I gotta applaud whoever designed it because it looked awesomely scary like what you would find in a horror game. No kidding. 

It'd make you think.. "No I do not want to be inside that house right now" and then you start to imagine being inside. Lol. 


Overall, it was not bad! Better than I expected because I did not get too confused. There were some questions still left unanswered but I suppose that is leaving it to the audiences' (wild)imagination. 

The whole plot was creative, quite original in my opinion. And I just cannot get over how amazing that house in the movie was. The ending took me by surprise a little especially when my mind started to work its way to the beginning of the movie.

Hey, this movie is meddling with your head and yet giving your mind an exercise. Haha.

If you're like me who doesn't usually go for this kind of movies, I recommend giving this one a try! You may enjoy it!

BLAIR WITCH IS IN SHOWING IN THEATRES ALREADY!
Catch it and let me know what you guys think ;)

Thank you for reading,
Cheryl x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Facebook Page